The opening quote from Charles Dicken’s Tale of Two Cities, seems appropriate to describe life for the orphans housed at the St. Stanislaus Institute in Newport Twp. The worst of times being , the loss of family, the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918, WWI, deaths due to mining accidents and poor economic conditions. Much of which left parents with no choice but to send children to the orphanage to be fed and cared for. The best of times would be the memories of the boys and girls, for while there, they were exposed to fresh air, exercise , wholesome food, a warm place to stay, dental care, health check-ups, education and lasting friendships.
Local businesses donated goods and services, and as Joe Karpinski, an alumni of St. Stanislaus remembered in a Citizens Voice Article in 2009, kids would line up at 3 p.m. each day for doughnuts or Danishes from the Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke, definitely a luxury at the time. Karpinski also remembered helping raise chickens and farming in the acres behind the orphanage.
In 1915, The Scranton Diocese set forth the idea of erecting an orphan’s home for children of Polish Descent in Newport Township. A plot of land was purchased from the Susquehanna Coal Company. At the time there were about 40 parishes in the diocese so there was little doubt that the orphanage would receive generous donations. The orphanage was dedicated on July 4 1919, with Rev. M.H. Hoban officiating, and six sisters of the Bernardine Order in charge. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE ORPHANGE CONTACT OUR OFFICE.
Children of St. Stanislaus Institute celebrate 50 year anniversary.
OLD NEWPORT STREET - ST STANISLAUS INSTITUTE 194Os
Nanticoke Hospital Clock - To read the story of how the Nanticoke Historical Society obtained this treasure read our NOVEMBER 2019 ISSUE OF NANTICOKE LEGACY - NHS receives long forgotten timepiece - page 9.